Escape from everyday stress and anxiety on this small island, located between Ios and Folegandros. Sikinos is a typically Cycladic island, with terraces, low stone fences and numerable chapels dotting a scenery bathed by the wonderful green and blue waters of the Aegean.
The island’s picturesque harbour with the whitewashed houses is Aloprónia and at just 3.5 km distance you can visit the island’s capital, Hóra, a village comprising two quarters, the older Kástro and the more recent Horió. This is the starting point for the trails that cross the entire island. Visit the fortress monastery of Zoodochos Pighi and enjoy a breathtaking sunset from there. The Byzantine monastery of Episkopi and the chapel of Agia Marina are definitely worth visiting, as they also offer a lovely view from their location on the hilltop.
What should you experience?
Thyme honey, local dairy products and caper are among the delights you must treat your taste buds with.
A walk through the city will allow you to see from close its main sights. Do not miss:
- The mansions constituting some of the greatest examples of traditional Cycladic architecture.- Pantanassas-Timios Stavros church located east of the stone paved square. It was built in 1787 and has a wooden gold-plated templon and amazing post Byzantine icons created by the Cretan School.
- The three windmills on the highest place of Chora.
- Zoodochos Pigi monastery built in an amazing area at the edge of a rock and looking like a castle.
- The Folklore Museum housed in an old oil-press in Chora.
- The Byzantine and post Byzantine collection.
- Christos (Jesus) Byzantine church.
- Aghia Anna, Aghios Vassilios and Eisodia tis Theotokou (the Presentation of the Virgin Mary) churches.
- Episkopi monastery complex located 4 km SW. The most important examples of ancient settlements are still preserved in this monastery’s Koimisi tis Theotokou (Assumption of the Virgin Mary) church, created after restoring a Roman mausoleum of the 3rd century A.D.
- Aghios Georgios Byzantine church.
- Palaiokastro with ruins of ancient settlement.
- Mavri Spilia (Black Cave). It is one of the largest caves in the island.
- The ancient settlements in Aghia Marina area (S of Episkopi) where visitors can see ruins of ancient buildings. Another settlement is located on the NE side of the island close to Malta cape.